- tube amplifiers
- fuzz effects
- overdrive and boost effects
- wah and filter effects
- acoustic electric guitars
- acoustic guitars
- bass guitars
- electric guitars
- double bass
Dallas was a UK musical instrument manufacturing and distribution company, founded by John E. Dallas. Dallas began making banjos in 1873, eventually moving to premises at 415 Strand. In 1905-1906 Dallas' three sons were given directorships and the firm's title changed to John E. Dallas and Sons.
By the late 1920s, Dallas instruments were being mass produced under the brand name "Jedson." derived from Dallas' initials, "J.E.D", and "Sons". When John Dallas died in 1921 the form became a private limited company
In 1926 The firm moved to larger premises, at 6-10 Betterton Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2, and became a wholesale importer and distributer of musical instruments. They moved again to Dallas moved to Ridgmount Street in 1937 (concinding with the introduction of the Ridgmount brand), before eventuallu settling in Clifton Street, EC2.
Dallas stopped production of banjos during the second world war. After the war, in 1947, limited production of some budget "Jedson" banjos was resumed, but their quality does not compare to the pre-war models.
In 1963 George Houghton set up workshops for the Dallas company at Bexleyheath in Kent. From this factory most of the post-war Dallas brand banjos were made: including the George Formby endorsed banjo ukes.
Dallas Musical Ltd aquired Arbiter Electronics in the late 1960s and formed Dallas Arbiter Ltd, with Ivor Arbiter as deputy chairman. The Arbiter company had produced some notable guitar effects in the 1960s, like the Fuzz Face and had the UK franchise to distribute Fender guitars. Dallas Arbiter went on to produce the Hayman range of guitars. Ivor Arbiter left Dallas Arbiter five years after the merger, it was possibly after this that the company became Dallas Musical Industries (DMI). DMI continued at least until the 1980s.