- acoustic guitars
- classical guitars
- double bass
Leif Hansson (1916-1997) was a Norwegian luthier who started building guitars and violins in 1935 when he was 18. In the early years this was a hobby at home in his basement. In May 1943 - in the midst of the war - he started a guitar factory in Olso. In 1944 he was making strings for guitars, mandolins and violins. By 1945, he ran nationwide advertising for products and in 1946 the Leif Hansson Musical Instrument Factory was a large company with 33 employees located in Heimdalsgata 23-25, Olso. They produced 115 guitars as well as some mandolins each month, with their own strings made on 8 string spinning machines. The factory also has its own mechanical department which made all the metal parts for the guitars such as machine heads, bridges and screws. The factory moved to larger premises at Røssedal in Østre Aker.
In the autumn of 1951, the company became a corporation. Leif Hansson A/S was entered in the trade register on 2 November. 1951, with Leif Hansson as chairman and Jacob Engh, Peder Gulmoen and Harald Strøm on the board. In 1961 the business was moved to newly built premises in Skjervaveien on Strømmen. A production company was established called Strømmen Treartikler A/S, with Alfred Holmen as the manager responsible for the production. The main products were guitars, but some mandolins, some ukuleles and some double basses were also made. The company had around 10 men working and about 6,000 guitars were produced annually. The guitars were marketed under the name Leif Hansson A / S, which was a company led by Jacob Engh.
When the manager Alfred Holmen died in 1971, there were changes. The business was now moved to Flå in Hallingdal. Unfortunately, despite the optimism and big plans, the Strømmen Treartikler company went bankrupt in 1973, and guitar production ended. After that, some imported guitars were sold under the Leif Hansson brand name, but these were not made in Norway.