The Coronet was introduced in 1958 as a single pickup entry level version of the Crestwood model. The pickup was an Epiphone New York unit for the first year of production but in 1959 this was changed to a P-90 pickup.
The Coronet design was changed in 1963 with the introduction of an asymmetrical body, 6 in a row batwing headstock, covered p-90 pickup.
The original Coronet had a Smooth, angled wrap-around bridge until 1961 when a compensated straight unit was introduced. From 1962 to 1966 a Maestro vibrato was optinal.
Hardware was nickel color until 1966 and from then on was chrome color.
In the 1970s manufacture of the Coronet ended when Epiphone production stopped at Kalamazoo and was moved overseas.
There was a short-lived USA Coronet model of 1990 with a similar pickup layout and matching electronics but with a two-octave rosewood fingerboard with block fingerboard markers and a reverse Explorer-style headstock. The USA Coronets came with the choice of gold hardware with stop tailpiece or black hardware with licensed Floyd Rose locking tremolo.