- electric guitars
Dates of manufacture:
1985 to 1987
After two years of development by the Ibanez R & D team, the Allan Holdsworth model was launched in 1985. The AH10 design has several features chosen to fit Allan Holdsworth's playing style, musical range and artistic expression:
- Spider logo on peghead and neck plate: Designed by Allan Holdsworth himself this distinctive logo identifies the AH10 as a Holdsworth signature instrument - inspired by Holdsworth's spidery fingered playing style often stretching to play impossible looking chords.
- Neck and Frets: The 17 inch radius ebony fingerboard is extra flat and wider for exceptional playing ease. Jim Dunlop #6100 Jumbo fret wire is used, providing a comfortable, solid feel
- Body: The body of the AH10 is built of lightweight Basswood with a special sound cavity under the pickguard. This sound chamber adds a distinct clarity and warmth helping to create a “singing” tone quality.
- Pickup: The new AH Special pickup was developed to meet Allan's exacting needs. Custom coil winding and Alnico magnets were used to achieve an exceptionally clear, smooth, warm sound. All twelve pole-pieces are adjustable to assure perfect string to string balance.
- Powerocker Special tremolo: This black-chrome plated tremolo has several features designed especially to suit Allan’s unique style. An aluminum block brings out rich, full harmonics. Narrow spacing between strings aides in lightening fast right hand passages,while lining the strings up perfectly with each pole-piece of the pickup. A short 150mm tremolo arm makes subtle vibrato shading possible.
- String spacing: Probably the most unique feature of the AH10 is its 25.5 scale neck with a custom 53 mm String pitch at the bridge. This is a much narrower spacing than an ordinary guitar, allowing for better string balance and alignment for the maximum in speed and feel.
- Custom Holdsworth signature fingerboard inlay: at the 21st fret
|Number of control knobs||2 control knobs|
|Tone controls||1 tone control|
|Volume controls||1 volume control|
|Pickups brand and model||Ibanez AH Special pickup(s)|
|Pickups configuration||1 humbucker pickup|
|Finish colors||black finish, green finish, red finish, white finish|
|Number of strings||6 strings|
|Scale length||25.5 inches scale-length|
|Body material||basswood body|
|Body style||super strat style body|
|Pickguard material||black pickguard|
|Bridge||Ibanez Powerocker tremolo|
|Hardware color||chrome hardware|
|Tuners||Ibanez Smooth Tuner II|
|Fingerboard inlay material||pearl fingerboard inlay material|
|Fingerboard material||ebony fingerboard|
|Fingerboard position markers||dot fingerboard position markers|
|Neck joint||bolt on neck|
|Neck material||maple neck|
|Number of frets||22 fret|
|Tuner layout||six-in-a-row tuners|
IBANEZ AH10 Allan Holdsworth reviewed by AllanfanRudy
Got this recently... What a hidden gem! Very light and resonant body, with a good tremolo system and a fast thin and flat neck with a smooth ebony fingerboard and hard jumbo frets. Very little fret wear and a straight neck, after 34 years. Plays like a dream. Can not comment on original AH pickup cause it was replaced with an SD TB4 by previous owner. But instrument has very good sound with lots of sustain. Swimming pool cavity makes adding pickups easy. I added a SD SH2 Jazz neck pickup and the Ibanez 5-way switch 2502N 3PS1SC5, adding 4 extra different sounds, making it my number 1 guitar now, in over 40 years of playing and owning guitars!