GIBSON manufactured the CF-100 E between 1951 and 1959. It was Gibson's first attempt at creating an acoustic-electric guitar - being a CF-100 with a single coil P-90 magnetic pickup. It was designed for Country and Western Artists who preferred a flat top electric acoustic in a slightly smaller size and cutaway style. It had a Golden Sunburst finish and Florentine Cutaway design for easier access to higher frets. The top was selected spruce, with Honduras mahogany back and rim, ivoroid binding and purfling ring. The Mahogany neck had a Gibson Adjustable Truss Rod, a 20 fret bound rosewood fingerboard with large pearl inlays, side position markers.
The single pickup was a compact, powerful magnetic type with adjustable pole pieces positioned at the end of the fingerboard. It was controlled by single volume and tone controls with calibrated knobs for exact setting of volume and tone coloring. It had individual enclosed machine heads, and reinforced rosewood bridge. The CF-100 E dimensions were: 14.25" wide, 19" long, 4.375” deep and 24.75" scale.
Gibson has reissued a limited number of CF-100 Es - starting during the 1990s.